Santos logs $357 million net loss, sets sight on Barossa LNG FID

Australian independent producer Santos reported a $357 million net loss for 2020, hit by impairments and lower oil price assumptions, but the firm still plans to decide on its Barossa LNG project this year.

Excluding one-time charges, the firm said its underlying profit dropped 60 percent to $287 million.

On the other side, production increased 18 percent to 89 mmboe while sales volume rose 13 percent to 107 mmboe.

Santos chief Kevin Gallagher said the firm delivered record annual production and sales volumes in 2020, and “strong” free cash flow of $740 million despite significantly lower commodity prices.

“These results again demonstrate the resilience of our cash-generative base business in a lower oil price environment and strong operational performance across our diversified asset portfolio,” he said.

“The improvements in our base business in recent years were perfectly illustrated in 2020 with an average realised oil price of $47 per barrel generating more than three times the free cash flow as generated in 2016 at a similar average oil price,” Gallagher said.

Barossa LNG FID in first half

Santos said in December it signed a long-term supply deal with a unit of Japan’s Mitsubishi Corporation to supply LNG from its Barossa project.

The firm is developing the Barossa gas field offshore northern Australia to secure feed gas for the Darwin LNG plant.

“The Barossa LNG project remains on-track for a final investment decision in the first half of 2021,” Gallagher said.

Mitsubishi would buy 1.5 million tonnes per annum of Santos equity LNG but the company also executed agreements to transport and process Barossa gas through the Darwin LNG facilities.

“All required consents and approvals are now in place for our sell-down of 25% interests in Bayu-Undan and Darwin LNG to SK E&S, which is now binding and subject only to FID. We also continue to progress the binding sale and purchase agreement with JERA for the sale of a 12.5% interest in Barossa,” Gallagher said.

Most Popular

Shell adds another LNG carrier to its fleet

A unit of UK-based LNG giant Shell has added another chartered liquefied natural gas carrier to its fleet.

Chevron, China’s ENN seal second LNG SPA

US energy giant Chevron has signed a second LNG sales and purchase agreement with Chinese independent gas distributor ENN.

Venture Global gets OK to introduce gas to final Plaquemines LNG block

US LNG exporter Venture Global LNG has received approval from the US FERC to introduce natural gas to the 18th and final liquefaction block at the Plaquemines LNG terminal in Louisiana as part of the plant’s commissioning process.

More News Like This

Santos CEO expects Papua LNG FID in early 2026

France's TotalEnergies and its partners plan to take a final investment decision on the Papua LNG export project in Papua New Guinea in the first quarter of 2026, according to Santos CEO Kevin Gallagher.

Santos further extends exclusivity period for Adnoc takeover

Australian LNG player Santos has further extended the exclusivity period for its proposed $18.7 billion takeover by a consortium led by Adnoc's investment unit, XRG.

Santos says Adnoc takeover deal delayed

Australia LNG player Santos said on Tuesday that a consortium led by Adnoc's investment unit, XRG, would not be able to finalize the previously announced $18.7 billion takeover bid for another four weeks.

Santos wins GLNG court battle against Fluor

Australian LNG player Santos has secured a court battle over Gladstone LNG project construction work that will see a unit of Fluor paying out more than A$692 million ($451.5 million). Santos also announced that it has granted an extension to the XRG consortium to enable the consortium to finalize due diligence and progress a scheme implementation agreement.