Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Equinor joins other majors in slashing spending

Norwegian energy company Equinor will slash operating costs and spending to help mitigate the impact of the Covid-19 outbreak and oil price downturn.

With this move, Equinor is joining a growing number of energy companies, such as Shell and Total, doing similar measures to cope with the current situation.

The main targets of the $3 billion plan include reducing capital expenditure for 2020 to around $8.5 billion from a goal set last month of spending between $10 billion and $11 billion, Equinor said.

The company’s spending on exploration will drop to $1 billion from a planned $ 1.4 billion this year, while operating costs will be slashed by around $ 700 million.

These measures follow the suspension announced this week of Equinor’s $5 billion four-year share buyback program.

Equinor’s head Eldar Sætre said in the statement that the company was now taking actions to “further strengthen its resilience in this situation with the spread of the coronavirus and low commodity prices”.

“We have implemented measures to reduce the risk of spreading the coronavirus and have so far been able to maintain production at all our fields. Safe operations remain our first priority in this situation,” said Sætre.

Most Popular

Williams launches Transco pipeline expansions

US natural gas pipeline operator Williams has launched two fully contracted expansions of the existing Transco pipeline to meet growing domestic demand and LNG exports.

Update: Shell’s LNG Canada receives LNG cargo

Shell’s LNG Canada has received a cargo of liquefied natural gas as part of the commissioning and start-up phase.

DOE gives further boost to US LNG exports

The US Department of Energy (DOE) has removed a regulatory barrier that required liquefied natural gas (LNG) projects to start export within seven years of receiving regulatory approval.

More News Like This

Norway’s Equinor restarts Hammerfest LNG export plant

Gassco data showed on Monday that the unplanned shutdown event ended on Sunday. A spokeswoman for Equinor also confirmed the...

Equinor extends shutdown of Hammerfest LNG export plant

Equinor decided to stop production on January 2 due to an issue on a compressor which reinjects CO2 to...

Norway’s Equinor shuts Hammerfest LNG terminal

Gassco data showed on Thursday that Hammerfest LNG will be offline until January 9, 2025. LNG Prime invited Equinor to...

Northern Lights welcomes second LNG-powered LCO2 carrier in its fleet

The second Northern Lights JV’s LNG-powered liquefied CO2 carrier has been delivered in China. Northern Lights, the JV consisting of...