Australia’s Woodside says Myanmar exit to impact profit

Australian LNG player Woodside said it has decided to withdraw from its interests in Myanmar, joining its peers Chevron and TotalEnergies who have announced the same move earlier this month.

Woodside has operated in Myanmar since 2013, conducting multiple exploration and drilling campaigns.

It holds a 40 percent participating interest in the A-6 JV as joint operator and participating interests in exploration permits AD-1 and AD-8.

The LNG firm had previously announced that it was placing all Myanmar business decisions under review following the “state of emergency declared in February 2021 and the deteriorating human rights situation in the country.”

Last year, Woodside completed the relinquishment of exploration permits covering offshore Blocks AD-2, AD-5 and A-4 and is in the process of withdrawing from Blocks AD-6, AD-7 and A-7, it said in a statement on Thursday.

Woodside said it would now start arrangements to formally exit Blocks AD-1 and AD-8, the A-6 JV and the A-6 production sharing contract (PSC) held with the Myanma Oil and Gas Enterprise (MOGE).

Profit impact

Woodside expects the non-cash expense associated with the decision to withdraw from Blocks A-6 and AD-1 to impact its 2021 net profit after tax (NPAT) by about $138 million.

This is in addition to the $71 million exploration and evaluation expense for Block AD-7 disclosed in Woodside’s fourth-quarter report on January 20, the firm said.

However, these costs would be excluded from underlying NPAT for the purposes of calculating the dividend, Woodside said.

Woodside CEO Meg O’Neill said while Woodside had hoped to develop the A-6 gas resources with its joint venture participants and deliver “much-needed energy” to the Myanmar people, there was “no longer a viable option for Woodside to continue its activities.”

“Woodside has been a responsible foreign investor in Myanmar since 2013 with our conduct guided by the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights and other relevant international standards,” O’Neill said.

“Given the ongoing situation in Myanmar we can no longer contemplate Woodside’s participation in the development of the A-6 gas resources, nor other future activities in-country,” she said.

Most Popular

First Nations plan new Canadian LNG export project

Kino Aski and Marinvest Energy Canada rebealed plans to jointly develop Kino Aski LNG, a First Nations–led liquefied natural gas (LNG) project designed to supply Europe.

Golar eyes fleet of more than seven FLNGs

Floating LNG player Golar LNG has made a pathway to increase its FLNG fleet to over seven units after ordering its fourth unit and securing two more shipyard slots, according to CEO Karl Fredrik Staubo.

CIMC SOE scores new LNG bunkering vessel order

China’s Nantong CIMC Sinopacific Offshore & Engineering has secured an order to build one 6,000-cbm liquefied natural gas (LNG) bunkering vessel.
spot_img

More News Like This

BP to take full control of Trinidad gas project

UK-based energy giant BP has agreed to acquire Woodside’s 70 percent interest in the Calypso gas project in Trinidad and Tobago, increasing its stake to 100 percent and assuming operatorship.

Woodside achieves first Scarborough gas

Australian LNG player Woodside said on Wednesday that it achieved first gas from the Scarborough reservoir, as the company continues to target first LNG cargo in the fourth quarter this year.

Woodside’s Browse LNG project gets WA backing

Woodside's planned Browse LNG project has received a state significant project status from the Western Australian government.

Woodside progresses work on Louisiana LNG plant

Australian LNG player Woodside and its contractor Bechtel continue to advance construction of the 16.5 mtpa Louisiana LNG export terminal.