NFE to push forward with Sri Lanka LNG-to-power plans after court ruling

Wes Edens-led New Fortress Energy said it would continue with its LNG-to-power plans in Sri Lanka after the country’s Supreme Court dismissed the petitions opposing the development.

“Having considered the merits of all the fundamental rights petitions filed seeking to halt NFE’s development of natural gas power solutions in Sri Lanka, the Court fully dismissed the petitions without further hearing,” NFE said.

The US LNG firm and the government of Sri Lanka executed a definitive agreement in September last year under which NFE would invest in energy infrastructure in Sri Lanka and develop a new LNG import terminal off the coast of Colombo.

NFE previously said Sri Lanka’s first LNG terminal could begin operations in 2023.

As part of the deal, NFE will have gas supply rights to the Kerawalapitya Power Complex and will initially provide the government an estimated 1.2 million gallons per day of LNG, or about 35,000 MMBtu.

The firm would supply both the currently operational 310 MW Yugadanavi Power Plant and the 350 MW Sobadanavi Power Plant which should go online in 2023.

However, the definitive agreement remains subject to customary conditions.

Wes Edens, chairman and CEO of NFE, welcomed the decision by the Court. He said NFE can now proceed with the company’s plans to deliver “cleaner fuels and more reliable, affordable power to Sri Lanka.”

Most Popular

TotalEnergies picks Daewoo E&C for Papua LNG contract

French energy giant TotalEnergies and its partners in the planned Papua LNG project in Papua New Guinea have selected South Korea’s Daewoo E&C as the preferred bidder for the EPCC of the project's central processing facility and well pads.

Bangladesh’s RPGCL seeks more spot LNG supplies

Bangladesh’s Rupantarita Prakritik Gas (RPGCL), a unit of state-owned Petrobangla, is seeking bids for more spot liquefied natural gas (LNG) cargoes.

Golar eyes fleet of more than seven FLNGs

Floating LNG player Golar LNG has made a pathway to increase its FLNG fleet to over seven units after ordering its fourth unit and securing two more shipyard slots, according to CEO Karl Fredrik Staubo.
spot_img

More News Like This

Egypt says no one injured after Damietta FSRU incident

Egypt's Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources said on Wednesday that no one was injured after a fire broke out aboard the 138,350-cbm Energos Winter in Damietta.

NFE says UK court approves restructuring plan

US LNG player New Fortress Energy said that a UK court approved its previously announced restructuring plan.

NFE gets strong support for $5.8 billion restructuring plan

US LNG player New Fortress Energy said it had received "strong indications" of support from its stakeholders for the previously announced $5.8 billion UK restructuring plan.

NFE seals long-term deal for Brazilian LNG terminal

US LNG firm New Fortress Energy said on Tuesday that its Brazil platform has signed a long-term lease and capacity agreement for the FSRU-based LNG import terminal in Santa Catarina, Brazil.