TotalEnergies to take $3.7 billion hit as it writes down Novatek stake

French energy giant TotalEnergies said it would take a $3.7 billion hit in its fourth-quarter results for the write-down of its stake in Russian LNG producer Novatek.

TotalEnergies holds a 19.4 percent interest in Novatek. It also holds a 10 percent stake in the Arctic LNG 2 development, as well as a 20 percent in Novatek’s Yamal LNG project.

Earlier this year, TotalEnergies said it would continue to supply LNG from the Yamal plant to Europe, but it would not provide any more capital for the Arctic LNG 2 project. The firm also booked a $4.1 billion impairment charge on Arctic LNG 2.

Besides the write-down of the stake, TotalEnergies has decided to withdraw the representatives of the company from the board of Novatek with immediate effect, it said in a statement on Friday.

TotalEnergies said it cannot sell the stake in Novatek given the prevailing shareholders’ agreements, as it is forbidden for TotalEnergies to sell any asset to one of Novatek’s main shareholders who is under sanction.

“In view of the European sanctions in force since the beginning of the war, the two directors representing TotalEnergies on the board of directors of Novatek are led to abstain from voting in meetings of the board of directors of this company, in particular on financial matters,” the firm said.

“They are therefore no longer in a position to fully carry out their duties on the board which might become an issue for the governance of this company,” it said.

Under these circumstances, the board of directors of TotalEnergies has decided to withdraw the representatives of the company from the board of Novatek, TotalEnergies said.

These actions would lead to record an impairment of about $3.7 billion in the accounts for the fourth quarter of 2022.

In addition, TotalEnergies said it would no longer book reserves for its interest in Novatek, with an impact on the company’s reported proved reserves at the end of 2021 of 1.7 billion of barrels.

However, the life duration of the company’s proved reserves would remain above 11 years of production, the company added.

Most Popular

Williams launches Transco pipeline expansions

US natural gas pipeline operator Williams has launched two fully contracted expansions of the existing Transco pipeline to meet growing domestic demand and LNG exports.

Update: Shell’s LNG Canada receives LNG cargo

Shell’s LNG Canada has received a cargo of liquefied natural gas as part of the commissioning and start-up phase.

DOE gives further boost to US LNG exports

The US Department of Energy (DOE) has removed a regulatory barrier that required liquefied natural gas (LNG) projects to start export within seven years of receiving regulatory approval.

More News Like This

India’s ONGC approves Mozambique LNG investment

India’s state-run ONGC has approved an investment by its unit, ONGC Videsh, into the TotalEnergies-led Mozambique LNG joint venture, which is developing a 12.8 mtpa liquefaction plant at the Afungi complex.

Russian LNG production down in January-February

Russian liquefied natural gas (LNG) production decreased in the first two months of this year compared to the same period last year, according to the Russian statistics agency Rosstat.

Argentina’s Enarsa gets offers for LNG cargo tender

Argentina's state-owned LNG importer Energia Argentina (Enarsa) has received seven offers for its first LNG cargo tender in 2025.

US approves financing for Mozambique LNG

The Export-Import Bank of the United States has approved financing for the TotalEnergies-led Mozambique LNG project.