Santos extends exclusivity period for PNG LNG stake sale

Australian LNG player Santos said it had agreed to extend the exclusivity period for the previously announced PNG LNG deal with Papua New Guinea’s national oil and gas company Kumul Petroleum.

In September, Santos received a binding offer from Kumul to buy a 5 percent stake in the PNG LNG project.

The deal has an asset value of $1.4 billion, including a proportionate share of project finance debt of about $0.3 billion.

Santos said at the time the offer would remain open for acceptance until December 31, 2022.

However, in a statement on Friday Santos said that Kumul had advised the firm it had now extended the period in which the offer would remain open until April 30, 2023.

“Santos has agreed to deal exclusively with Kumul during this period regarding the sale of equity in PNG LNG,” it said.

According to a report by Reuters, Kumul in talks with Australia’s export credit agency to help fund the acquisition of the project.

Santos currently has a 42.5 percent stake in the 6.9 mtpa LNG export plant in Caution Bay following the Oil Search merger while Kumul has a 16.8 percent stake.

ExxonMobil holds a 33.2 percent operating interest in PNG LNG.

Most Popular

Shell adds another LNG carrier to its fleet

A unit of UK-based LNG giant Shell has added another chartered liquefied natural gas carrier to its fleet.

Hanwha Engine completes first X-DF engine with VCR tech

South Korea's Hanwha Engine, a subsidiary of Hanwha, has completed what it claims is the world's first WinGD X-DF engine equipped with VCR (variable compression ratio) technology for LNG carriers.

Chevron, China’s ENN seal second LNG SPA

US energy giant Chevron has signed a second LNG sales and purchase agreement with Chinese independent gas distributor ENN.

More News Like This

Santos CEO expects Papua LNG FID in early 2026

France's TotalEnergies and its partners plan to take a final investment decision on the Papua LNG export project in Papua New Guinea in the first quarter of 2026, according to Santos CEO Kevin Gallagher.

Santos further extends exclusivity period for Adnoc takeover

Australian LNG player Santos has further extended the exclusivity period for its proposed $18.7 billion takeover by a consortium led by Adnoc's investment unit, XRG.

Santos says Adnoc takeover deal delayed

Australia LNG player Santos said on Tuesday that a consortium led by Adnoc's investment unit, XRG, would not be able to finalize the previously announced $18.7 billion takeover bid for another four weeks.

Santos wins GLNG court battle against Fluor

Australian LNG player Santos has secured a court battle over Gladstone LNG project construction work that will see a unit of Fluor paying out more than A$692 million ($451.5 million). Santos also announced that it has granted an extension to the XRG consortium to enable the consortium to finalize due diligence and progress a scheme implementation agreement.