Woodside, Santos confirm merger talks

Australian LNG players Woodside and Santos confirmed that the two firms are in discussions regarding a potential merger.

“In response to recent media speculation, Woodside confirms it is in discussions regarding a potential merger with Santos,” the firm said on Thursday.

Woodside said discussions remain confidential and incomplete, and there is no certainty that the discussions will lead to a transaction.

“As a global energy company, Woodside continuously assesses a range of opportunities to create and deliver value for shareholders,” it said.

Santos confirmed the talks in a separate statement on Thursday saying that it has engaged in preliminary discussions with Woodside regarding a potential merger.

The firm said it “continuously reviews opportunities to create and deliver value for shareholders.”

Santos said the consideration of any merger is at an early stage and there is no agreement between the two firms.

The combination of the two firms would create a merged energy and LNG giant with a market value of about A$80 billion ($52.4 billion).

Last year, Woodside completed its merger with BHP’s oil and gas business, becoming a top 10 global independent energy company by hydrocarbon production and the largest energy company listed on the ASX.

Woodside is the operator of the Pluto LNG plant and is building the second train there, and it operates the NWS LNG plant. The firm has stakes in other facilities as well and is working to develop new projects such as the Sunrise project.

On the other hand, Santos completed its merger deal in December 2021 with PNG-focused Oil Search worth about A$22 billion.

With this move, Santos increased its stake in the PNG LNG project. The company operates the Gladstone LNG plant and the Darwin LNG plant.

Most Popular

Financing secured for Manzanillo LNG-to-power project

Manzanillo Gas & Power has secured financing for its Manzanillo LNG-to-power project in the Dominican Republic, which includes a floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU).

ALNG expects to enter LNG trading by year-end

Norway’s ALNG, the owner of two TFDE LNG vessels, expects to enter LNG trading with its first transaction by the end of this year, according to interim CEO Jens-Julius Ramdahl Nygaard.

ExxonMobil dishes out $1.1 billion in Rovuma LNG contracts

US energy giant ExxonMobil and its partners in the planned Rovuma LNG project in Mozambique have awarded $1.1 billion in pre-investment contracts for long-lead upstream equipment.

More News Like This

Santos says GLNG ships 1000th cargo

The Santos-operated GLNG plant in Queensland, Australia, has shipped its 1000th cargo since it started operations in 2015.

BP to take full control of Trinidad gas project

UK-based energy giant BP has agreed to acquire Woodside’s 70 percent interest in the Calypso gas project in Trinidad and Tobago, increasing its stake to 100 percent and assuming operatorship.

Woodside achieves first Scarborough gas

Australian LNG player Woodside said on Wednesday that it achieved first gas from the Scarborough reservoir, as the company continues to target first LNG cargo in the fourth quarter this year.

Woodside’s Browse LNG project gets WA backing

Woodside's planned Browse LNG project has received a state significant project status from the Western Australian government.