Duo inks LNG trucking deal for Panama and Costa Rica

Colon LNG Marketing and Tropigas Natural signed a deal to distribute LNG via trucks in Panama and Costa Rica.

Under the deal, the duo will supply LNG from the AES-operated import terminal in Colon, Panama to regional customers. These include the transport, trade, and energy sectors.

According to the two companies, this is the first such distribution deal in the region.

Furthermore, the deal will cater to the growing need of the regional market to produce goods and services by using more environmentally-friendly fuels.

Colon LNG Marketing is a unit of US energy company AES while Tropigas Natural is a distribution business owned by the Dominican-based gas and power company Tropigas.

AES Panama
Image: AES Panama

AES, via AES Colon, has a 50.1 percent stake in the Costa Norte LNG import terminal in Colon. The other 49.9 percent share belongs to Inversiones Bahia.

Panama’s first LNG import terminal consists of a 180,000-cbm tank and a 381 MW combined cycle power plant.

The tank reached commercial operations in 2019 allowing Panama to become a regional LNG distribution hub.

To remind, AES has invested a total of $1.15 billion in the facility located near the Atlantic entrance of the Panama Canal.

- Advertisements -

Most Popular

Deutsche ReGas starts commissioning Mukran FSRU terminal

LNG terminal operator Deutsche ReGas has kicked off commissioning activities at its FSRU-based LNG import facility in Germany’s port...

CEO: DOE’s permit pause will not slow down Cheniere’s LNG expansion plans

US LNG exporting giant Cheniere is going "full steam ahead" with plans to expand its Sabine Pass and Corpus...

Venture Global seeks more time to complete Calcasieu Pass LNG terminal

US LNG exporter Venture Global LNG has requested more time from the US FERC to complete the commissioning of...

More News Like This

AES wraps up stake sale in two LNG terminals

US energy company AES has completed the previously announced sale of minority stakes in its LNG import terminals in...

Crowley plans to launch Panama Canal LNG bunkering ops in 2024

US shipping and logistics company Crowley plans to start providing liquefied natural gas (LNG) bunkering services on the Pacific...

AES and Seaspan ink Panama LNG bunkering pact

US energy firm AES is joining forces with Canada's Seaspan to provide LNG as fuel for vessels from the...

AES sells stakes in two LNG terminals for $190 million

US energy company AES has agreed to sell minority stakes in its LNG import terminals in the Dominican Republic...