Sempra expects to push back Port Arthur LNG FID, again

US LNG operator and energy firm Sempra said it would likely postpone a final investment decision on its planned Port Arthur liquefaction project in Texas for the second time.

Sempra said in May 2020 it had delayed the decision on the LNG export development to 2021 due to the market conditions created by the Covid-19 pandemic.

The firm continues to work with its partners to reduce Porth Arthur LNG’s greenhouse gas emissions profile and to improve the project’s position in the market, Sempra’s finance chief Trevor Mihalik told analysts during the company’s quarterly earnings conference call on Wednesday.

“At this time, given this work and the continued impacts of the pandemic on the global energy markets, it is more likely that the final investment decision at Port Arthur will move to next year,” Mihalik said.

To remind, Sempra and Bechtel signed the final EPC deal for the LNG export project in March last year.

The first phase of Port Arthur LNG includes a two-train plant with about 13 mtpa capacity and up to three storage tanks.

Sempra has a firm 2 mtpa deal for the project signed with Poland’s PGNiG in December 2018.

It also has a preliminary deal with Saudi Aramco signed in May 2019 under which the latter would take a 25 percent stake in the LNG project.

Most Popular

Shell adds another LNG carrier to its fleet

A unit of UK-based LNG giant Shell has added another chartered liquefied natural gas carrier to its fleet.

Chevron, China’s ENN seal second LNG SPA

US energy giant Chevron has signed a second LNG sales and purchase agreement with Chinese independent gas distributor ENN.

Venture Global gets OK to introduce gas to final Plaquemines LNG block

US LNG exporter Venture Global LNG has received approval from the US FERC to introduce natural gas to the 18th and final liquefaction block at the Plaquemines LNG terminal in Louisiana as part of the plant’s commissioning process.

More News Like This

Sempra seeks OK to start construction activities for Port Arthur LNG expansion

US LNG exporter Sempra is seeking approval from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to start some construction activities for the second phase of the Port Arthur LNG project in Texas, as it continues to work on a final investment decision on the project.

Sempra, EQT ink 20-year Port Arthur LNG SPA

US natural gas producer EQT has signed a long-term deal with compatriot LNG exporter Sempra Infrastructure, a unit of Sempra, to buy LNG from the proposed second phase of the Port Arthur LNG project in Texas.

Sempra, ConocoPhillips seal another 20-year Port Arthur LNG SPA

US energy giant ConocoPhillips has signed a deal with compatriot LNG exporter Sempra Infrastructure, a unit of Sempra, to buy a total of 80 million tonnes of LNG from the proposed second phase of the Port Arthur LNG project in Texas. With this deal, ConocoPhillips will buy a total of 180 million tonnes of LNG from both Port Arthur phases.

Sempra’s ECA LNG project more than 94 percent complete, Port Arthur expansion FID expected in 2025

Sempra's Energia Costa Azul LNG export terminal in Mexico is more than 94 percent complete, while the company and its partners still expect to make a final investment decision on the second phase of the Port Arthur LNG export project in Texas in 2025.