UK remains top importer of US LNG

The United Kingdom was the top destination for US liquefied natural gas supplies for the second month in a row in January, as Europe continues to receive the majority of volumes produced at US liquefaction plants, according to the Department of Energy’s newest LNG monthly report.

The DOE report shows that US terminals shipped 42.9 Bcf of LNG to the UK in January, 42.7 Bcf to Turkiye, 41.9 Bcf to the Netherlands, 38.8 Bcf to Spain, and 28 Bcf to South Korea.

These five countries took 49.1 percent of total US LNG exports in January.

The UK was the top destination for US LNG supplies in December, while France was the top destination for US LNG supplies in October and November.

Prior to this, the Netherlands was the top destination for US LNG supplies for five months in a row.

The Netherlands was the number one destination for US LNG supplies during January-December last year and the country is followed by France, the UK, Japan, South Korea, Spain, Germany, Italy, China, and India, the DOE data previously showed.

US LNG exports rise

The US exported in total 396.2 Bcf of LNG in January to 30 countries, up by 17.6 percent compared to the same month in 2023 and a drop of 6.3 percent from the prior month, the DOE report shows.

Europe received 283.7 Bcf or 71.6 percent of these volumes, Asia received 76.3 Bcf or 19.2 percent, and Latin America/Caribbean received 36.3 Bcf or 9.2 percent.

The DOE said that 88.6 percent of total LNG exports went to non-free trade agreement countries (nFTA), while the remaining 11.4 percent went to free trade agreement countries (FTA).

US terminals shipped 127 LNG cargoes in January, down from 135 LNG cargoes in December.

Cheniere’s Sabine Pass plant sent 39 cargoes and its Corpus Christi terminal shipped 19 cargoes, while Sempra’s Cameron LNG plant sent 23 shipments and the Freeport LNG terminal sent 18 cargoes during January.

In addition, Venture Global’s Calcasieu plant sent 15 cargoes, Elba Island LNG sent 6 cargoes, and Cove Point LNG dispatched 7 shipments.

During the January-December period last year, the US exported 4,341.6 Bcf of LNG, a rise of 12 percent compared to 2022.

US plants sent 1,387 LNG cargoes to 37 countries in 2023.

According to DOE’s report, the average price by export terminal reached 7.28/MMBtu in the January-December period last year and 6.63/MMBtu in January this year.

The most expensive average price in January comes from Venture Global’s Calcasieu Pass terminal and it reached $10.59/MMBtu.

Prices at other facilities range between $5.71-$6.84/MMBtu, the data shows.

5770 cargoes

The report said that in the period from February 2016 through January 2024, the US exported 5770 cargoes or 18,333.2 Bcf to 41 countries.

The DOE data shows that South Korea remains the top destination for US LNG with 584 cargoes, and the country is followed by Japan with 462 cargoes, France with 464 cargoes, the UK with 447 cargoes, and the Netherlands with 401 cargoes.

France took more cargoes than Japan but less volumes.

Besides these five countries, Spain, China, India, Turkiye, and Brazil are in the top ten as well.

- Advertisements -

Most Popular

Report: Egypt’s EGAS charters Hoegh LNG’s FSRU

The Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS) has chartered Hoegh LNG's floating storage regasification and storage unit, Hoegh Galleon,...

Equinor says nobody injured after leak at Hammerfest LNG

Norway’s Equinor has confirmed that there were no injuries following a hydrocarbon leak at its 4.3 mtpa Hammerfest LNG...

Glenfarne’s Texas LNG inks new deal with EQT

US natural gas producer EQT has entered into a second heads of agreement for liquefaction services from Texas LNG’s...

More News Like This

France was top destination for US LNG cargoes in February

France was the top destination for US liquefied natural gas supplies in February, as European terminals continue to receive...

Spot LNG shipping rates remain steady, European prices jump

Spot charter rates for the global liquefied natural gas (LNG) carrier fleet remained almost flat this week, while European...

US weekly LNG exports down to 21 shipments

US liquefied natural gas (LNG) exports decreased in the week ending April 17 compared to the week before, with...

Spot LNG shipping rates continue to drop, European prices climb

Spot charter rates for the global liquefied natural gas (LNG) carrier fleet continued to decrease this week, while European...