Hanwha Ocean bags $1.84 billion Qatari LNG carrier order

South Korean shipbuilder Hanwha Ocean, previously known as DSME, has secured an LNG carrier order worth about $1.84 billion as part of QatarEnergy’s massive shipbuilding program.

The shipbuilder said on Monday it will build eight LNG carriers for an owner in Oceania and deliver them by January 2028.

Hanwha Ocean did not reveal the name of the company but QatarEnergy announced on Sunday that it has signed time charter agreements for 25 LNG carriers with Nakilat as part of the second phase of the shipbuilding program, saying that eight of these 174,000 cbm vessels will be built by Hanwha Ocean.

Prior to this, Hanwha Ocean signed a memorandum of understanding for 12 LNG carrieers tied to the shipbuilding program.

The price of about $230 million per LNG carrier is also in line with the previous orders under the second part of the program. It is also much less then the current price of about $265-270 million for 174,000 cbm LNG carriers in South Korea.

Last year, QatarEnergy signed a deal for 17 LNG carriers worth about $3.9 billion with HD Hyundai Heavy, kicking off the second phase of the shipbuilding program.

In addtion, Samsung Heavy also secured a large order to build 15 LNG carriers for about $3.45 billion and this order is also tied to the program.

Most Popular

Golar eyes fleet of more than seven FLNGs

Floating LNG player Golar LNG has made a pathway to increase its FLNG fleet to over seven units after ordering its fourth unit and securing two more shipyard slots, according to CEO Karl Fredrik Staubo.

Bangladesh’s RPGCL seeks more spot LNG supplies

Bangladesh’s Rupantarita Prakritik Gas (RPGCL), a unit of state-owned Petrobangla, is seeking bids for more spot liquefied natural gas (LNG) cargoes.

TotalEnergies picks Daewoo E&C for Papua LNG contract

French energy giant TotalEnergies and its partners in the planned Papua LNG project in Papua New Guinea have selected South Korea’s Daewoo E&C as the preferred bidder for the EPCC of the project's central processing facility and well pads.
spot_img

More News Like This

ConocoPhillips continues to boost LNG portfolio

US energy giant ConocoPhillips has expanded its commercial LNG offtake portfolio to 12 million tonnes per annum as it continues to scale up this business, according to incoming CEO Andy O’Brien.

QatarEnergy progresses commissioning of first NFE LNG train

State-owned LNG giant QatarEnergy is progressing with commissioning activities at the first train of the North Field East LNG project in Qatar despite the ongoing Middle East crisis, according to EPC contractor Technip Energies.

Edison says QatarEnergy extends force majeure until end of September

Italian energy firm Edison, a unit of EDF, said it had received a new force majeure notification from state-owned LNG giant QatarEnergy, affecting supplies scheduled for delivery at the Adriatic LNG terminal in Italy until end of September.

Hanwha Ocean: demand for LNG newbuilds supported by energy security policies, capacity expansion

South Korean shipbuilder Hanwha Ocean said on Monday that mid- to long-term demand for LNG carrier newbuildings is driven by higher ton-mile demand from stronger energy security policies and LNG supply diversification toward the US and other exporters amid Middle East disruptions.