Vitol inks three-year deal for Bontang LNG supplies

A unit of energy trader Vitol has signed a three-year deal to offtake volumes from Indonesia’s Bontang LNG facility in East Kalimantan.

According to a statement by the Geneva-based firm, its unit Vitol Asia submitted the most competitive bid as part of an open tender process held in February 2023 by the “Merakes LNG Sellers”.

This sales and purchase agreement represents the conclusion of that process and the LNG supply to Vitol will start in 2024.

Under the deal, Vitol’s unit will receive 0.55 million tonnes per year of LNG for a period of three years on a free on board (FOB) basis, with a possible one year extension, it said.

Merakes and Bontang LNG

Pertamina’s Bontang LNG plant will liquefy these volumes from feed gas produced from the Merakes field located in Indonesia’s Makassar Strait.

Merakes is part of the East Sepinggan PSC, jointly owned by Italy’s ENI, Neptune Energy, and PT Pertamina Hulu Energi.

Eni and its Norwegian unit Var recently reached a deal to buy UK-based Neptune for $4.9 billion.

Back in April 2021, Eni and it partners started gas production from the Merakes project offshore Indonesia.

Gas supplies from the field will help extend the life of Pertamina’s Bontang LNG facility.

The Bontang LNG plant launched liquefaction operations in the 1970s and has been supplying LNG ever since, primarily to Asian markets.

Vitol’s LNG portfolio on the rise

Mike Muller, head of Vitol Asia, welcomed the signing of this mid-term LNG purchase arrangement.

“These Bontang LNG volumes are highly complementary to our portfolio and further enhance our ability to optimally, safely and reliably supply our customer base across Asia, whilst underscoring Vitol’s strong historical ties with Indonesia,” Muller said.

Last year, Vitol traded 13.7 million tonnes of LNG worldwide as the company’s portfolio responded to increased demand from Europe.

The firm, which entered the LNG market in 2006, reported LNG volumes of 12.9 million tonnes in 2021, 10 million tonnes in 2020, and 10.5 million tonnes in 2019.

Most Popular

First Nations plan new Canadian LNG export project

Kino Aski and Marinvest Energy Canada rebealed plans to jointly develop Kino Aski LNG, a First Nations–led liquefied natural gas (LNG) project designed to supply Europe.

CIMC SOE scores new LNG bunkering vessel order

China’s Nantong CIMC Sinopacific Offshore & Engineering has secured an order to build one 6,000-cbm liquefied natural gas (LNG) bunkering vessel.

Golar eyes fleet of more than seven FLNGs

Floating LNG player Golar LNG has made a pathway to increase its FLNG fleet to over seven units after ordering its fourth unit and securing two more shipyard slots, according to CEO Karl Fredrik Staubo.
spot_img

More News Like This

YPF, partners seek RIGI investment scheme for $51 billion Argentina LNG project

Argentina LNG, a joint venture of Argentina’s state-owned oil and gas company YPF and its partners Eni and XRG, has submitted its application to join Argentina’s large investment incentive regime (RIGI), supporting the development of the large-scale LNG export project with a total investment of $51 billion.

YPF, partners target Argentina LNG FID by year-end

Argentina’s state-owned oil and gas company YPF and its partners Eni and XRG are still targeting a final investment decision on the 12 mtpa Argentina LNG project by the end of this year, according to YPF CEO Horacio Marin.

Axpo and Vitol wrap up first Civitavecchia LNG bunkering op

Switzerland-based Axpo and energy trader Vitol have completed what they say is the first ship-to-ship LNG refueling at the Port of Civitavecchia, Italy’s largest cruise port.

Eni says Congo LNG deal with Vitol not finalized

Italian energy firm Eni said on Wednesday that its previously announced sale of a 25 percent stake in the Congo LNG project to energy trader Vitol was not finalized.