Australia’s Santos posts jump in profit

Australian independent LNG producer Santos reported a 50 percent rise in its underlying profit in the first half of the year on the back of higher oil and gas prices.

Santos said on Tuesday its underlying profit increased to $317 million for the six months ended June 30, up from $212 million in the same period last year.

Also, net profit after tax surged to $354 million when compared to a loss of $289 million last year.

The reported net profit after tax includes net gains on asset sales and it mainly rose due to impairments included in the previous half-year result, Santos said.

Moreover, Santos reported record production of 47.3 mmboe and record sales volumes of 53.8 mmboe, and free cash flow of $572 million.

“The results reflect higher oil prices compared to the corresponding period due to recovery in demand but were offset by lower average LNG prices due to lagged oil-linked pricing in long-term LNG offtake contracts,” the firm said.

The firm’s board has resolved to pay an interim dividend of 5.5 cents per share fully-franked, 162 percent higher than the previous interim dividend.

Papua New Guinea-focused Oil Search has earlier this month agreed to a new merger proposal by Santos, in a deal that would create an LNG player worth about $16 billion.

Following approval of the scheme, Oil Search shareholders would own about 38.5 percent of the merged group and Santos shareholders would own 61.5 percent.

“The merged company would have strong cash generation from a diverse range of assets which provides a strong platform for sustainable growth and continued shareholder returns,” Santos chief executive Kevin Gallagher, said.

Gallagher said the two firms continue to progress on due diligence. “I look forward to the signing of a binding merger implementation deed in the coming weeks,” he said.

Most Popular

Update: Shell’s LNG Canada receives LNG cargo

Shell’s LNG Canada has received a cargo of liquefied natural gas as part of the commissioning and start-up phase.

DOE gives further boost to US LNG exports

The US Department of Energy (DOE) has removed a regulatory barrier that required liquefied natural gas (LNG) projects to start export within seven years of receiving regulatory approval.

Williams launches Transco pipeline expansions

US natural gas pipeline operator Williams has launched two fully contracted expansions of the existing Transco pipeline to meet growing domestic demand and LNG exports.

More News Like This

Santos says Barossa project 91 percent complete

The Barossa gas project, which will supply feed gas to the Santos-operated Darwin LNG plant, is 91 percent complete and remains on target for first production in the third quarter of 2025, Santos said on Wednesday.

TotalEnergies CEO says partners working hard on Papua LNG

TotalEnergies has a 37.55 percent operating stake in the Papua LNG project, ExxonMobil has 37.04 percent, Santos owns a...

Santos, Tamboran to study options for second Darwin LNG train

The partners jointly own the EP 161 acreage in the Beetaloo basin with Santos holding a 75 percent operating...

Santos: Barossa project 88.3 percent complete

Santos announced this in its fourth-quarter report on Thursday. The project was 83.5 percent complete as of October 31, 2024. In...