DEME, Van Oord secure Darwin LNG job in Australia

A joint venture consisting of Belgium’s dredging firm DEME and Dutch marine contractor Van Oord has won a contract from Switzerland-based Allseas to work on the Santos-operated Darwin pipeline duplication project, located offshore Northern Australia.

Australian LNG player Santos took a final investment decision on this project last month.

The decision will extend the Barossa gas export pipeline to the Santos-operated 3.7 mtpa Darwin LNG facility and allow for the repurposing of the existing Bayu-Undan to Darwin pipeline to facilitate carbon capture and storage (CCS) options.

Under the new contract, Van Oord and DEME would carry out trenching, pipe pull operations, and prepare the shore crossing at the landfall location near the Darwin LNG plant, according to a joint statement issued on Monday.

Additionally, the partners will perform rock placement works to protect the pipeline.

DEME and Van Oord will deploy a cutter suction dredger, trailing suction hopper dredger, and backhoe dredger for this project, as well as a fallpipe vessel for the rock placement works and a linear pulling winch for the pipe pull.

The partners said that project preparations would start immediately.

DEME said in a separate statement it has a “sizable share” of the contract, representing a value for the firm of 50-150 million euros ($50.8 million – $152.5 million).

With the new award, DEME is returning to Australia following previous contracts for projects like Wheatstone and Gladstone, while Van Oord previously worked on the Ichthys LNG project in the Darwin port.

Most Popular

Shell adds another LNG carrier to its fleet

A unit of UK-based LNG giant Shell has added another chartered liquefied natural gas carrier to its fleet.

CMA CGM’s LNG-powered giant floated out in China

China’s Hudong-Zhonghua has launched the third in a new series of 24,000-teu LNG dual-fuel containerships for French shipping giant CMA CGM.

Venture Global gets OK to introduce gas to final Plaquemines LNG block

US LNG exporter Venture Global LNG has received approval from the US FERC to introduce natural gas to the 18th and final liquefaction block at the Plaquemines LNG terminal in Louisiana as part of the plant’s commissioning process.

More News Like This

Santos CEO expects Papua LNG FID in early 2026

France's TotalEnergies and its partners plan to take a final investment decision on the Papua LNG export project in Papua New Guinea in the first quarter of 2026, according to Santos CEO Kevin Gallagher.

Santos further extends exclusivity period for Adnoc takeover

Australian LNG player Santos has further extended the exclusivity period for its proposed $18.7 billion takeover by a consortium led by Adnoc's investment unit, XRG.

Santos says Adnoc takeover deal delayed

Australia LNG player Santos said on Tuesday that a consortium led by Adnoc's investment unit, XRG, would not be able to finalize the previously announced $18.7 billion takeover bid for another four weeks.

Santos wins GLNG court battle against Fluor

Australian LNG player Santos has secured a court battle over Gladstone LNG project construction work that will see a unit of Fluor paying out more than A$692 million ($451.5 million). Santos also announced that it has granted an extension to the XRG consortium to enable the consortium to finalize due diligence and progress a scheme implementation agreement.