Oil Search, Santos enter definitive merger deal

Papua New Guinea-focused Oil Search and Australia’s Santos have entered into a definitive merger deal that would create an LNG player worth about A$21 billion ($15.5 billion).

To remind, Oil Search said last month it had agreed to a new merger proposal by Santos after it rejected the first offer.

Under the revised offer, Oil Search shareholders would receive 0.6275 new Santos shares.

Following the completion of the scheme, Oil Search shareholders would own about 38.5 percent of the merged group and Santos shareholders would own 61.5 percent.

This deal values Oil Search at about A$8 billion ($6 billion). The firm has a stake in the ExxonMobil-led PNG LNG project but also the planned Papua LNG development.

Santos said on Monday it expects the merger to unlock pre-tax synergies of $90-115 million per annum.

The merger is subject to a limited number of customary conditions including Oil Search shareholder approval, regulatory approvals and Papua New Guinea court approval.

Moreover, the combined Santos and Oil Search will be led by Santos chief executive Kevin Gallagher.

“Santos and Oil Search will be stronger together and will have increased scale and capacity to drive a combined disciplined, low-cost operating model and unrivaled growth opportunities over the next decade,” Gallagher said.

“The merger will create a company with a balance sheet and strong cashflows necessary to successfully navigate the transition to a lower carbon future with the combination of Santos’ leading CCS capability combining with Oil Search’s ESG programs in PNG and Alaska to provide a strong foundation,” he said.

Most Popular

Chevron, China’s ENN seal second LNG SPA

US energy giant Chevron has signed a second LNG sales and purchase agreement with Chinese independent gas distributor ENN.

Shell adds another LNG carrier to its fleet

A unit of UK-based LNG giant Shell has added another chartered liquefied natural gas carrier to its fleet.

Venture Global gets OK to introduce gas to final Plaquemines LNG block

US LNG exporter Venture Global LNG has received approval from the US FERC to introduce natural gas to the 18th and final liquefaction block at the Plaquemines LNG terminal in Louisiana as part of the plant’s commissioning process.

More News Like This

Santos CEO expects Papua LNG FID in early 2026

France's TotalEnergies and its partners plan to take a final investment decision on the Papua LNG export project in Papua New Guinea in the first quarter of 2026, according to Santos CEO Kevin Gallagher.

Santos further extends exclusivity period for Adnoc takeover

Australian LNG player Santos has further extended the exclusivity period for its proposed $18.7 billion takeover by a consortium led by Adnoc's investment unit, XRG.

Santos says Adnoc takeover deal delayed

Australia LNG player Santos said on Tuesday that a consortium led by Adnoc's investment unit, XRG, would not be able to finalize the previously announced $18.7 billion takeover bid for another four weeks.

Santos wins GLNG court battle against Fluor

Australian LNG player Santos has secured a court battle over Gladstone LNG project construction work that will see a unit of Fluor paying out more than A$692 million ($451.5 million). Santos also announced that it has granted an extension to the XRG consortium to enable the consortium to finalize due diligence and progress a scheme implementation agreement.