Origin rejects revised takeover offer from Brookfield and EIG

Australian energy firm and APLNG shareholder, Origin, has rejected a revised takeover offer from a consortium consisting of Canada’s Brookfield Asset Management and a unit of US-based energy investor EIG.

The consortium and Origin entered into a binding deal in March this year and the takeover received approval from Australia’s competition regulator in October.

Brookfield and EIG also recently increased the cash consideration offered to all Origin shareholders under the scheme of arrangement to A$9.43 per share, valuing Origin at about A$20 billion.

Origin announced in a statement last week that it has received a non-binding and indicative proposal from the consortium to amend the current scheme.

The revised offer came just one day ahead of a meeting of Origin shareholders to vote on the scheme.

To allow time to consider the revised proposal and other relevant matters, Origin decided to adjourn the scheme meeting to December 4.

“The revised proposal is incomplete and highly conditional, including requiring finalization of funding arrangements, updates to regulatory approvals, rulings from the Australian Taxation Office, and entry into revised legal documentation,” Origin said in a statement on Thursday.

Following careful consideration, including obtaining advice from its advisers, Origin’s board considers the revised proposal “is not in the best interests of Origin or its shareholders,” it said.

The revised proposal is “incomplete, complex, highly conditional, and does not provide sufficient certainty for Origin shareholders,” the firm said.

“It is also the board’s view that the value of the revised proposal does not adequately compensate shareholders, including taking into account the extended timeline that the revised proposal would require,” Origin said.

Further, it would require Origin to accept “continuing constraints on the business following an already lengthy period for the current scheme,” the firm said.

Origin said that the scheme meeting at which shareholders will vote on the proposed scheme will proceed as planned on December 4.

If the current scheme is not approved by the requisite majorities at the meeting on December 4, Origin’s board and management “will continue to execute on Origin’s strategy and ambition to lead the energy transition in Australia,” it said.

“Consistent with its duties, the board will remain open to strategic options that enhance shareholder value,” the firm said.

- Advertisements -

Most Popular

Cedar LNG FID pushed back

Canada’s Pembina Pipeline and the Haisla Nation have again postponed a final investment decision on their Cedar floating LNG...

Eni to ship Congo’s first LNG cargo

Italy’s Eni will soon ship the first liquefied natural gas cargo from its Tango floating LNG facility moored in...

Hyundai Samho to build LNG carrier quartet for $1.08 billion

South Korea's Hyundai Samho has secured an order to build four liquefied natural gas (LNG) carriers for about $1.08...

More News Like This

Venice Energy inks FSRU deal with AG&P LNG

Venice Energy, the developer of the Outer Harbor LNG import project in the Port of Adelaide, has signed a...

EIG’s MidOcean buys Peru LNG stake from SK

MidOcean Energy, the LNG unit of US-based energy investor EIG, has purchased a stake in LNG terminal operator Peru...

Australia’s Origin reports lower APLNG revenue

The Australia Pacific LNG project logged lower revenue during the quarter ending December 30 compared to the same quarter...

Japan’s Inpex to boost Ichthys LNG stake

Japan’s Inpex plans to enter into a deal with compatriot Tokyo Gas to buy a small stake from the...