Santos: Barossa gas project more than 70 percent complete

The Barossa gas project, which will supply feed gas to the Santos-operated Darwin LNG plant, is more than 70 percent complete and “on track” for first production in the third quarter of 2025, according to Australia’s Santos.

Santos chair Keith Spence and managing director and CEO Kevin Gallagher revealed this during the company’s annual general meeting held on April 11.

Back in 2021, Santos took a final investment decision for its $3.6 billion Barossa project.

Natural gas will be extracted from the Barossa field, located in Commonwealth waters about 285 kilometers offshore north-north west from Darwin, and transported via a pipeline to the existing Darwin LNG facility.

In November last year, the last LNG cargo produced from the Bayu-Undan gas field has sailed from the Santos-operated Darwin LNG plant in Australia’s Northern Territory.

The final LNG shipment from Bayu-Undan left the 3.7 mtpa Darwin LNG plant at Wickham Point on November 11.

The Darwin LNG plant launched operations in 2006 and the facility is now being readied for the next 20 years, in preparation for the start of Barossa gas production in 2025.

To prepare for Barossa gas, Santos is working on the Darwin LNG life extension project.

The Darwin LNG plant life extension work is now “well underway” ahead of first gas from
Barossa next year, Gallagher said during the annual meeting.

He said the Barossa gas project itself is “more than 70 percent complete and will backfill Darwin LNG for 15 to 20 years.”

Gallagher said in February that the Barossa project was 67.4 percent complete.

Expanding LNG portfolio

Moreover, the first Barossa well “has been completed and pleasingly, initial well flow rates are in line with expectations and carbon dioxide content is at the low end of the expected range,” Gallagher said.

Spence said during the meeting that Santos is currently drilling the second of six wells, while pipelaying is nearing completion.

He said that subsea facilities installation is “well under way”, and that thirteen of the 16 topside modules have now been installed on the floating production storage and offtake vessel.

At full production rates, Barossa is expected to add 1.8 million tonnes per annum to Santos’
expanding LNG portfolio.

Besides Darwin LNG, Santos operates the GLNG terminal on Curtis Island off Gladstone and has a a stake in the PNG LNG project.

“Barossa is a world-class LNG asset designed to utilize existing infrastructure at Darwin LNG to deliver a low-cost, reliable, long-term source of supply to Japan and Korea,” Gallagher said.

Most Popular

Shell adds another LNG carrier to its fleet

A unit of UK-based LNG giant Shell has added another chartered liquefied natural gas carrier to its fleet.

CMA CGM’s LNG-powered giant floated out in China

China’s Hudong-Zhonghua has launched the third in a new series of 24,000-teu LNG dual-fuel containerships for French shipping giant CMA CGM.

Venture Global gets OK to introduce gas to final Plaquemines LNG block

US LNG exporter Venture Global LNG has received approval from the US FERC to introduce natural gas to the 18th and final liquefaction block at the Plaquemines LNG terminal in Louisiana as part of the plant’s commissioning process.

More News Like This

Santos CEO expects Papua LNG FID in early 2026

France's TotalEnergies and its partners plan to take a final investment decision on the Papua LNG export project in Papua New Guinea in the first quarter of 2026, according to Santos CEO Kevin Gallagher.

Santos further extends exclusivity period for Adnoc takeover

Australian LNG player Santos has further extended the exclusivity period for its proposed $18.7 billion takeover by a consortium led by Adnoc's investment unit, XRG.

Santos says Adnoc takeover deal delayed

Australia LNG player Santos said on Tuesday that a consortium led by Adnoc's investment unit, XRG, would not be able to finalize the previously announced $18.7 billion takeover bid for another four weeks.

Santos wins GLNG court battle against Fluor

Australian LNG player Santos has secured a court battle over Gladstone LNG project construction work that will see a unit of Fluor paying out more than A$692 million ($451.5 million). Santos also announced that it has granted an extension to the XRG consortium to enable the consortium to finalize due diligence and progress a scheme implementation agreement.