Santos, Oil Search wrap up merger deal

Australian LNG player Santos said it has completed the merger deal with PNG-focused Oil Search worth about A$22 billion ($15.7 billion).

Santos said on Friday that the merger became effective following the approvals by Oil Search shareholders and the National Court of Papua New Guinea.

Under the deal, Oil Search shareholders would receive 0.6275 new Santos shares for each Oil Search share held on the record date of December 14.

Oil Search shareholders would own about 38.5 percent of the merged group and Santos shareholders would own 61.5 percent.

“Santos and Oil Search are stronger together and will have increased scale and capacity to drive a disciplined, low-cost operating model and unrivaled growth opportunities over the next decade,” Santos managing director and chief executive, Kevin Gallagher, said.

Following the implementation of the merger, three non-executive directors from Oil Search would join the Santos board. Santos’ head office would remain in Adelaide.

In September, Oil Search and Santos have entered into a definitive merger deal.

Oil Search has a stake in the ExxonMobil-led PNG LNG project but also the planned Papua LNG development. Combined, Santos and Oil Search have a 42.5 percent stake in PNG LNG.

Most Popular

Shell adds another LNG carrier to its fleet

A unit of UK-based LNG giant Shell has added another chartered liquefied natural gas carrier to its fleet.

Hanwha Engine completes first X-DF engine with VCR tech

South Korea's Hanwha Engine, a subsidiary of Hanwha, has completed what it claims is the world's first WinGD X-DF engine equipped with VCR (variable compression ratio) technology for LNG carriers.

CoolCo always looking at acquisitions, CFO says

LNG carrier owner CoolCo is always on the lookout for potential acquisitions, according to CFO John Boots.

More News Like This

Santos CEO expects Papua LNG FID in early 2026

France's TotalEnergies and its partners plan to take a final investment decision on the Papua LNG export project in Papua New Guinea in the first quarter of 2026, according to Santos CEO Kevin Gallagher.

Santos further extends exclusivity period for Adnoc takeover

Australian LNG player Santos has further extended the exclusivity period for its proposed $18.7 billion takeover by a consortium led by Adnoc's investment unit, XRG.

Santos says Adnoc takeover deal delayed

Australia LNG player Santos said on Tuesday that a consortium led by Adnoc's investment unit, XRG, would not be able to finalize the previously announced $18.7 billion takeover bid for another four weeks.

Santos wins GLNG court battle against Fluor

Australian LNG player Santos has secured a court battle over Gladstone LNG project construction work that will see a unit of Fluor paying out more than A$692 million ($451.5 million). Santos also announced that it has granted an extension to the XRG consortium to enable the consortium to finalize due diligence and progress a scheme implementation agreement.