Impairments drive Santos to net loss

Australian independent LNG producer Santos reported a net loss in the first half as it booked a $526 million hit in asset impairments due to revised oil price outlook.

The firm recorded a net loss of $289 million as compared to a profit of $388 million on previously announced charges mainly related to its GLNG project and exploration assets in the Cooper and Amadeus Basins.

Excluding impairments, the company’s underlying net profit nearly halved to $212 million as the Covid-19 pandemic destroyed demand pushing down prices to record lows.

Santos said its average realised oil price dropped 34% to $47.83/bbl and LNG price decreased 14% to $8.57/mmBtu in the six-month period.

This also lead to sales revenue dropping 16% to $1.7 billion.

On the brighter side, the Australian firm reported a record production boosted by its purchase deal with ConocoPhillips in May which included operating interests in Darwin LNG, Bayu-Undan field, and Barossa and Poseidon projects.

Santos said first-half production reached 38.5 mmboe and maintained full-year production guidance at 83-88 mmboe.

“Our disciplined operating model enabled us to maintain activities key to sustaining strong operational performance and stable production across all of our core assets, and we are now targeting a free cash flow breakeven oil price of less than $25 per barrel in 2020,” Santos chief Kevin Gallagher said.

Despite the oil and gas price crash, Santos still plans to take final investment decisions on its three projects in Australia worth some $6.9 billion.

These include the Barossa field, the Dorado development, and the Moomba carbon capture and storage site.

“Santos remains confident that when prices and demand recover, our projects will be better placed than those in our competitor countries to leverage the opportunities that will inevitably re-emerge,” Gallagher said.

Most Popular

Williams launches Transco pipeline expansions

US natural gas pipeline operator Williams has launched two fully contracted expansions of the existing Transco pipeline to meet growing domestic demand and LNG exports.

DOE gives further boost to US LNG exports

The US Department of Energy (DOE) has removed a regulatory barrier that required liquefied natural gas (LNG) projects to start export within seven years of receiving regulatory approval.

Dunmura seals Galveston LNG bunkering deal

Pilot LNG and Libra Group’s maritime unit Seapath have signed a deal to supply LNG to London-based Dunmura from their planned LNG bunkering facility in Galveston, Texas.

More News Like This

Santos says Barossa project 91 percent complete

The Barossa gas project, which will supply feed gas to the Santos-operated Darwin LNG plant, is 91 percent complete and remains on target for first production in the third quarter of 2025, Santos said on Wednesday.

TotalEnergies CEO says partners working hard on Papua LNG

TotalEnergies has a 37.55 percent operating stake in the Papua LNG project, ExxonMobil has 37.04 percent, Santos owns a...

Santos, Tamboran to study options for second Darwin LNG train

The partners jointly own the EP 161 acreage in the Beetaloo basin with Santos holding a 75 percent operating...

Santos: Barossa project 88.3 percent complete

Santos announced this in its fourth-quarter report on Thursday. The project was 83.5 percent complete as of October 31, 2024. In...