PTTEP, Petronas find more gas off Malaysia

Thailand’s PTTEP and Malaysia’s Petronas have made another gas discovery off the coast of Miri, Sarawak.

The discovery in the Kulintang-1 wildcat exploration well of Block SK438 is located in the shallow waters of Balingian province, Petronas said on Wednesday.

The partners drilled the Kulintang-1 well to a total depth of 2,238 metres in April and it encountered gas in the Oligocene to Middle Miocene sandstone reservoirs, but these have not been fully evaluated before, the Malaysian giant said.

PTTEP HK Offshore operates the Block SK438 with an 80 percent interest, while Petronas Carigali holds the remaining 20 percent.

“The success of Kulintang-1 well marks the second gas discovery within the Balingian province this year. This encouraging result proves further potential of sweet gas in the province, especially in the deeper Oligocene play,” Petronas senior VP of Malaysia Petroleum Management, Mohamed Firouz Asnan, said.

He said the new gas can go through existing infrastructure towards fulfilling the demand of the domestic gas customers as well as the Petronas-operated LNG complex in Bintulu, Sarawak.

The Bintulu LNG facility has a capacity of about 30 mtpa and mainly supplies China, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan.

- Advertisements -
spot_img

Most Popular

Brazil’s GNA gets approval to launch first LNG power plant

Brazilian joint venture Gas Natural Acu has commissioned the first plant as part of its LNG-to-power project in the...

Stena adds LNG power barge to its portfolio

A unit of Sweden’s Stena said it has expanded its jetty-less LNG offering with an integrated power barge (IPB). The...

Canada’s FortisBC shrinks expansion plans for Tilbury LNG

Canadian utility FortisBC is scaling back expansion plans for its Tilbury LNG facility in British Columbia. The second expansion phase...

More News Like This

BASF supplies gas treatment tech for Petronas’ second FLNG project

German chemical giant BASF said it has supplied its gas treatment technology for the latest floating LNG project developed...

Indian Oil, Petronas to work on LNG terminals

India’s top state oil refiner Indian Oil is expanding its existing joint venture with Malaysian energy giant Petronas to...

Malaysia’s Petronas posts higher LNG sales

Malaysian energy giant Petronas reported a rise in its liquefied natural gas (LNG) sales, boosted by higher demand and...

Petronas says delivers its first carbon-neutral LNG cargo to Shikoku Electric

Malaysian energy giant Petronas said it has delivered its maiden carbon-neutral liquefied natural gas (LNG) cargo to Japan's Shikoku...