Shell is seeking an LNG commercial cargo operator to be based in Houston.
Where You Fit In
Shell Energy Operations (SE Ops) is responsible for the execution of all deals and trades for Shell Energy which encompasses the Global LNG Business including Downstream LNG and Gas & Power Trading in Europe and the Americas. SE Ops will also act as a talent pool for Shell Energy Commercial. SLMT (Shell LNG Marketing & Trading) is the Global LNG Trading organization and the Commercial Cargo Operator sits within the Operations arm of Shell Trading.
What’s the role
Shell is a global leader in the LNG business. This is a global business with supply projects in both Atlantic and AP basins and customers spread across Asia, Europe, Middle East, and South America. The nature of this high-value trade is evolving fast with the mix of long- and short-term contracts changing fast.
Commercial Operations provides end-to-end commercial operations and logistical support to SLMT and is as such responsible on a day-to-day basis for the timely implementation and execution of freight and commercial transactions to ensure that all obligations arising from the LNG contract and charter party are met and carried out professionally. This requires working closely with Traders to maximize the value-add for profitable operations and minimize the profit leakage from the flexibility and optionality embedded in the LNG contracts and Supply programs.
Operations are also involved in the development of projects and new contracts. The LNG operations team is responsible on a day-to-day basis to be able to implement and execute commercial deals and review standard LNG contracts. In addition to cargo operations, this incumbent may be expected to cover freight operations and be able to operate LNG ships under SLMT’s responsibility working closely with the chartering team.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Ensure that LNG operations fully complies with Shell’s internal standards including compliance and HSSE, paying special attention to HSSE hazards and risks that may have impact on Shell’s license to operate.
- Ensure that all commercial and operational obligations arising from the contracts are carried out, and that any necessary requirements are complied with.
- Deal with cargo and freight counterparties and terminals on a regular basis regarding all pre and post deal activities
- Appoint independent inspectors and expeditors and be able to investigate matters relating to LNG quality.
- Ensure that all operational information is entered timely and accurately into Trading systems.
- Provide guidance for necessary cargo invoicing work, diversion payments and clearances of accruals for both external and internal deals.
- Liaise with counterparts and support team to ensure smooth operations, avoid delays and minimize demurrage costs.
- Multi-task on priorities and think on your feet to deal with contractual problems ensuring that they are managed professionally and optimally for the trading business.
- Specifically seek to add value by exercising embedded commercial and logistical deal options and by pro-active approach to problem solving.
- Support commercial colleagues on the feasibility of proposed contractual arrangements for new projects, new contracts, and spot cargoes
- Agree with supply schedules with third parties and calculate cargo pricing understanding the mechanisms and indices employed
- Identify and exploit synergies with other parts of Shell Trading
- Support short term initiatives to continuously improve the efficiency of all aspects of the commercial operations for the movement of cargoes and port interaction
- Engage in highly complicated contract mechanisms for reconciliations involving large datasets to be completed in a timely fashion
- Manage relationships with external stakeholders, counterparties, and service providers e.g. suppliers and customers, regulatory bodies, inspectors, and survey companies
- Actively engage and support local team when engaging with the freight and cargo operations team across the other hubs to ensure the process alignment, business continuity, and commercial added value to meet current and future business needs
- Pro-actively close out operational related disputes with external and internal counterparts or support and guide less experienced team members where necessary
- Engage with external parties (outside of Shell) to gather best practices, digital solutions, and exchangeable learnings
- Support LNG Ops and SLMT Digitization strategy in close liaison with Project Lead. Drive continuous improvements, automation and commercial value add
- Display visible leadership and commitment to HSSE within the team. Engage with external partners to echo and reinforce our strong focus on HSSE
- Whilst key accountability lies with the regional team, the operator is expected to understand contractual constraints globally and collaborate with the cargo and freight operations team in other regions to resolve the issues.
- The operator will handle global 24/7 trading activities and whilst colleagues are available in other time zones, the operator is expected to respond flexibly to requests outside of normal office hours.
Please visit Shell’s website for more information.