Shell is seeking a market risk advisor LNG to be based in London.
Where you fit in
You will join the LNG Market Risk Advisory team, a group of experienced risk professionals with the objective of bringing insight & value to Commercial teams, through objective analysis and challenge of trading strategies. Our aim is to provide clear guidance on existing and new business propositions, reflected in high quality risk assessments.
You will also be part of a lean global risk team focusing on Shell global LNG portfolio. The Market Risk Advisor LNG will be the main stakeholder manager in the London office, with a strong focus on LNG & global gas derivatives and Downstream LNG businesses.
What’s the role?
Successful candidate will be accountable for the following:
- Cooperate with and support the London-based LNG Derivatives desk, to setup a new suite of analytics specifically designed for non-linear trading (standard options across TTF, JKM, Brent and Henry Hub; structured options). Daily analysis of financial strategies across linear and non-linear derivatives books.
- Interact with and provide Market Risk advice and insight to senior commercial, risk, and finance colleagues. Provide independent advice and guidance on the level of risk/return in the business to senior commercial, risk, and finance colleagues.
- Assess new deals and proposed transactions for a wide range of LNG and natural gas related contracts to ensure that the commercial teams have identified and priced associated risks.
- Work with the Valuation and Quantitative Analytics teams to understand, assess and model market risks including embedded physical optionality and optimization of physical portfolios changes exposures.
- Ensure that all market risk exposures generated are fully understood and that the risk associated with market risk exposures are properly evaluated and communicated to the appropriate stakeholders.
- Assist in limit setting & monitoring of the LNG businesses, but equally play a key role in limit setting globally across the Trading and Supply business.
- Drive understanding of the design and utilization of methodologies to assess risk/reward of the portfolio, including VaR back-testing, stress testing, scenario analysis, liquidity analysis.
- Understand and explain changes in VaR by breaking down the impact by its underlying drivers and ensuring that the VaR accurately reflects the positions taken and volatility of the relevant market.
- Define and advance analytical mindset and behaviors by providing support for training and learning opportunities to analysts to enhance their understanding of trade book strategies, complex deals, trading and risk mandates, and market fundamentals.
- Attract, develop and retain top talent; includes identifying future leaders within the Market Risk team. Enable continuous professional development and timely training for risk professionals.
- Implement Shell best practices in commodity trading risk management.
- Ensure that all trading activities remain within mandated limits and escalate appropriately if they are exceeded.
- Help set the agenda for Risk Committee meetings with Senior Leadership. Brief key Risk Committee stakeholders in preparation of the Risk Committee meeting
What we need from you?
We are keen to hear from candidates with strong track record in market risk management capacities, with a focus on energy commodities (preferably global gas and LNG, European gas & power or oil & products). Advanced experience in monitoring of market risk, stress testing, Value-at-Risk exposures, ensuring risk completeness and accuracy (e.g. by monitoring closely and understanding the profit & loss (P&L) drivers).
Besides that, we would also like to see the following skills touched by your experience:
- Understanding of energy market fundamentals, ability to keep abreast of market trends / signposts and to link them to implications for the portfolio risk profile.
- Past experience in senior stakeholder management (VP/EVP level across Finance and Commercial).
- Pricing and risk management expertise with a focus on non-linear portfolios (standard / structured options). Familiarity with complex, cross-commodity portfolios.
- Proven leadership skills, ability to manage market risk related projects and activities with minimal supervision. Ability to collaborate with global teams across different geographies (Asia, Europe, US).
- Programming skills in Python/Matlab are a plus.
Please visit Shell’s website for more information.