UTM Offshore plans Nigeria’s first floating LNG producer

Nigeria, an established LNG exporter via the Bonny onshore terminal, could get its first floating producer as part of a new move revealed by the country’s government.

The country’s Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) said in a statement it has awarded a licence to privately-held company UTM Offshore to establish Nigeria’s first FLNG production plant.

Abuja-based UTM Offshore received the licence on February 8, according to DPR.

The firm plans to install a liquefaction unit with a capacity of 1.2 million tonnes per annum, sourcing gas from the Yoho field which lies in Oil Mining Lease 104, offshore Nigeria.

The Nigerian government holds 60% interest in the Yoho crude oil joint venture, through NNPC, while ExxonMobil’s MPN holds the remaining 40% and operates the development that started production back in 2003. The field also produces gas but the JV reinjects it to eliminate flaring and maximise oil recovery.

Boosting Nigeria’s LNG export capacity

“The plant would have a capacity to process 176 million standard cubic feet per day of natural gas and condensate with natural gas feedstock from Oil Mining Lease 104,” Nigerian law firm Templars said in a statement.

The firm is advising UTC Offshore on the development and financing of the FLNG project.

In addition, the law firm says work would now continue until completion of the project which would “contribute to the actualization of the zero flare policy of the Nigerian government as well as increasing Nigeria’s LNG production capacity.”

The new unit would probably take on the gas that the JV currently sends back to the field but neither DPR or Templars revealed any additional information on the development.

Should the project commercialize, the 1.2 mtpa FLNG would add to the 22 mtpa Bonny LNG plant already produces.

Moreover, the joint venture behind the six-train plant including NNPC, Shell, Total, and Eni is also adding an additional unit to boost capacity to 30 mtpa in total.

- Advertisements -

Most Popular

Cedar LNG FID pushed back

Canada’s Pembina Pipeline and the Haisla Nation have again postponed a final investment decision on their Cedar floating LNG...

Eni to ship Congo’s first LNG cargo

Italy’s Eni will soon ship the first liquefied natural gas cargo from its Tango floating LNG facility moored in...

Hyundai Samho to build LNG carrier quartet for $1.08 billion

South Korea's Hyundai Samho has secured an order to build four liquefied natural gas (LNG) carriers for about $1.08...

More News Like This

Daewoo E&C installs giant heat exchanger at Nigeria LNG’s seventh train

South Korea’s Daewoo E&C has completed the installation of a giant heat exchanger at the seventh train of Nigeria...

Technip Energies bags Adriatic LNG gig

Paris-based LNG engineering giant Technip Energies has secured a new contract from Italy’s Adriatic LNG, the operator of the...

ExxonMobil says Golden Pass plant on track to deliver first LNG in H1 2025

Energy giants QatarEnergy and ExxonMobil are still expecting to start LNG production at their Golden Pass LNG export terminal...

Mexico Pacific seals third LNG SPA with ExxonMobil

Mexico Pacific, the developer of the planned $14 billion Saguaro Energia LNG export project, has signed an additional long-term...