Oil Search, Santos extend due diligence on $16 billion merger deal

Papua New Guinea-focused Oil Search and Australia’s Santos have agreed to extend the exclusive due diligence period, as they continue to work on a recently announced merger deal that would create an LNG player worth about $16 billion.

The partners have agreed to extend the due diligence period for a further one week to September 13.

“Subject to each party completing due diligence on the other to its satisfaction, and the entry into of a merger implementation agreement, the Oil Search board intends to unanimously recommend shareholders vote in favour of the revised proposal,” the ASX-listed firm said on Monday.

Oil Search added there is no certainty that the revised proposal would result in a transaction.

To remind, Oil Search said last month it had agreed to a new merger proposal by Santos after it rejected the first offer.

As part of the revised offer, Oil Search shareholders would receive 0.6275 new Santos shares.

Following approval of the scheme, Oil Search shareholders would own about 38.5 percent of the merged group and Santos shareholders would own 61.5 percent.

Oil Search has a stake in the ExxonMobil-led PNG LNG project but also the planned Papua LNG development.

Most Popular

Update: Shell’s LNG Canada receives LNG cargo

Shell’s LNG Canada has received a cargo of liquefied natural gas as part of the commissioning and start-up phase.

DOE gives further boost to US LNG exports

The US Department of Energy (DOE) has removed a regulatory barrier that required liquefied natural gas (LNG) projects to start export within seven years of receiving regulatory approval.

Williams launches Transco pipeline expansions

US natural gas pipeline operator Williams has launched two fully contracted expansions of the existing Transco pipeline to meet growing domestic demand and LNG exports.

More News Like This

Santos says Barossa project 91 percent complete

The Barossa gas project, which will supply feed gas to the Santos-operated Darwin LNG plant, is 91 percent complete and remains on target for first production in the third quarter of 2025, Santos said on Wednesday.

TotalEnergies CEO says partners working hard on Papua LNG

TotalEnergies has a 37.55 percent operating stake in the Papua LNG project, ExxonMobil has 37.04 percent, Santos owns a...

Santos, Tamboran to study options for second Darwin LNG train

The partners jointly own the EP 161 acreage in the Beetaloo basin with Santos holding a 75 percent operating...

Santos: Barossa project 88.3 percent complete

Santos announced this in its fourth-quarter report on Thursday. The project was 83.5 percent complete as of October 31, 2024. In...