Sinopec to take stake in QatarEnergy’s giant LNG expansion project

China’s state-controlled energy giant Sinopec has signed a deal with LNG giant QatarEnergy to buy a stake in the North Field East project.

The two firms signed the definitive partnership agreement on Wednesday in Doha, according to a statement by QatarEnergy.

Under the deal, QatarEnergy will transfer to Sinopec a 5 percent interest in the equivalent of one NFE train with a capacity of 8 mtpa.

The project will have in total four large trains so Sinopec will take 1.25 percent of the total project.

This agreement will not affect the participating interests of any of the other shareholders, QatarEnergy said.

This move follows a huge LNG purchase deal the two firms signed last year.

In November last year, QatarEnergy entered into a 27-year deal to supply 4 mtpa per year from the NFE project, starting in 2026, to Sinopec’s terminals in China.

It built upon a deal the two firms signed in March 2021. QatarEnergy entered into a 10-year LNG deal with Sinopec and these supplies started in April last year.

Qatar’s energy minister and chief executive of QatarEnergy, Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi, said on Wednesday China “is a major driver of the global energy markets as well as being one of the most important gas markets in the world and is a key market for Qatari energy products.”

“Today’s event underscores QatarEnergy’s commitment to deepening its relationships with key LNG consumers, while prioritizing long-term strategic partnerships and alignment with world class partners from China, represented by Sinopec here today,” he said.

Sinopec to take stake in QatarEnergy's giant LNG expansion project
Image: QatarEnergy

Giant LNG capacity expansion

Previously, UK-based ShellFrance’s TotalEnergiesItaly’s Eni, and US firms ConocoPhillips and ExxonMobil took stakes in the $28.75 billion NFE project which will boost Qatar’s LNG export capacity by 32 mtpa.

ConocoPhilips, Shell, as well as TotalEnergies took stakes in the smaller NFS project with a capacity of 16 mtpa.

Together, NFE and NFS form the wider North Field Expansion project to increase LNG production from the North Field, adding about 48 mtpa to Qatar’s export capacity and bringing it to 126 mtpa.

QatarEnergy’s unit Qatargas currently has an LNG production capacity of 77 mtpa in the giant Ras Laffan complex.

(Updated with a statement by QatarEnergy.)

Most Popular

Financing secured for Manzanillo LNG-to-power project

Manzanillo Gas & Power has secured financing for its Manzanillo LNG-to-power project in the Dominican Republic, which includes a floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU).

ALNG expects to enter LNG trading by year-end

Norway’s ALNG, the owner of two TFDE LNG vessels, expects to enter LNG trading with its first transaction by the end of this year, according to interim CEO Jens-Julius Ramdahl Nygaard.

ExxonMobil dishes out $1.1 billion in Rovuma LNG contracts

US energy giant ExxonMobil and its partners in the planned Rovuma LNG project in Mozambique have awarded $1.1 billion in pre-investment contracts for long-lead upstream equipment.

More News Like This

Belgium’s Zeebrugge terminal to receive latest Golden Pass LNG cargo

The Fluxys-operated LNG import facility in the Belgian port of Zeebrugge is expected to receive another cargo from the Golden Pass LNG export terminal in Texas, owned by QatarEnergy and ExxonMobil, according to shipping data.

ConocoPhillips continues to boost LNG portfolio

US energy giant ConocoPhillips has expanded its commercial LNG offtake portfolio to 12 million tonnes per annum as it continues to scale up this business, according to incoming CEO Andy O’Brien.

QatarEnergy progresses commissioning of first NFE LNG train

State-owned LNG giant QatarEnergy is progressing with commissioning activities at the first train of the North Field East LNG project in Qatar despite the ongoing Middle East crisis, according to EPC contractor Technip Energies.

Edison says QatarEnergy extends force majeure until end of September

Italian energy firm Edison, a unit of EDF, said it had received a new force majeure notification from state-owned LNG giant QatarEnergy, affecting supplies scheduled for delivery at the Adriatic LNG terminal in Italy until end of September.